The Kinsman Foundation
The Kinsman Foundation
3727 SE Spaulding Avenue
Milwaukie, OR 97267
Contact Person: Sara Bailey
Contact E-mail: email@example.com
Program Funding Areas:
Native Wildlife Rehabilitation and Appreciation
Arts, Culture & Humanities (Limited)
Geographic Area Served by Grants:
Oregon and southern Washington
Types of Support Offered:
The Foundation makes grants primarily for the purposes detailed in our Program Funding Areas. An important element of all grants is a benefit to the public at large, rather than to specialized populations or groups.
Do you fund general operating costs for non-profits? If so, under what conditions?
Yes, but preference may be given to project support.
These grant policies are an informal summary of our granting practices and procedures. They vary in importance, depending on the individual circumstances of each situation. Each, however, reflects the last few years of our grantmaking:
- Grants are made only for activities benefiting Oregon and southern Washington.
- Grants are awarded only to tax-exempt nonprofit 501(c)(3) organizations and government agencies. Only exceptional situations will result in a grant that requires us to exercise the expenditure responsibility procedures required by the IRS for some grants.
- Granting decisions are made by a consensus of our Board of Directors without significant staff recommendation.
- There is some internal inconsistency over the question of operating support versus project support. Like many funders, we appreciate the unique results nonprofits can sometimes achieve through a special project or program. Yet we understand that often the most valuable support we can provide to organizations whose values, goals and work we admire is general or administrative support. Generally speaking, project support still is afforded a preference.
- First-time applicants to the Small Grants Program are rarely awarded more than $5,000.
- Grants outside our indicated areas of interest are initiated by the Foundation.
- No matching funds are required.
- There are no reapplication limits for either previous grantees or others.
- An educational component to a program will not enhance its likelihood of funding.
Applicants are encouraged to initiate and complete online grant applications from the grant application portal on this website. The Foundation manages three grant programs: one for the Betty Kinsman Fund for Arts, Culture and Humanities, and two for the remainder of our Eligibility Areas. Grant application and processing is the same for each program; the differences are the size of grants and timing of grant decisions and awards.
Preferred contact from potential grantees:
The Kinsman Foundation continues to refine its grant process. Please review the Foundation website for changes in the process prior to submitting a grant proposal.